Saturday, April 14, 2012

He is the Calmer of Storms

Not the greatest photo, but these were some mammatus clouds we saw at the end of our street about a year ago...these are  commonly present with mega super cell storms...

The air is thick and muggy outside. I'm on my couch watching and waiting for a long predicted storm to roll in.  I do not know if it will actually make it here or not, but I know it has already arrived many places to the west, southwest and north of us.  

Here, where I am, the air waits in thick stillness only to be interrupted by sudden bursts of wind  blowing the boughs of the trees and shaking the gentle leaves.  Oh, I love the sound when the wind blows strong  outside my windows...that quiet roar.

Please do not get me wrong here, I have a healthy fear and tremendous respect for Mother Nature and am not one to make light of storm warnings, damages or tragedies caused by weather.  However, when those winds kick up and the earth is stirred and there is nothing we can do but take cover, part of me just cannot help but feel thrilled to witness a mere fraction of His power and might with my own eyes. 

His word tells us that he is the calmer of storms and is with us in the storms of our lives and from my own experiences I know this to be true.  I once read in a Beth Moore bible study something that I have never forgotten when facing some of life's trials.  She wrote that Jesus often addresses his children before he calms the storms they are facing.  I love that.  It has brought me so much comfort during struggles I have faced and I pray that it does you as well.  

 23 Then he got into the boat and his disciples followed him. 24 Suddenly a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. 25 The disciples went and woke him, saying, “Lord, save us! We’re going to drown!”
 26 He replied, “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?” Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.
 27 The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”
                    - Matthew 8:23-27

Blessings to you on this stormy Saturday evening....especially if you happen to be in the path of these giant storms!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment