Thursday, December 1, 2011

Holding onto Gratitude

 

I hate how easily my heart slides into thoughts or postures of ingratitude.  I despise how simply the thoughts or words "I really need..." or "I wish I had...." ooze from my lips.  I feel like I have been especially guilty of this mindset over the past several weeks too.  I'm not sure what the catalyst was, but somehow, somewhere along the line, my heart just got off track and I have been traveling in the wrong direction ever since.

The simple truth is that I do not need a thing.  I have been richly blessed with more love and friendship than my heart can hold, I am married to an incredible man, we get to be the parents of the most amazing little adventurous gal and we get to call this cozy, safe, comfy place home.  We have everything we could possibly need and then some.  We are healthy.  We are happy.  We are growing and we are challenged.

What is embarrassing is to admit how easily I forget these gifts and how quickly my heart wanders to the "more" or the "if only" side of earthly living.  So today, I am starting over with my stake in the ground here...at the beginning of this beautiful month.  I'm claiming all of these days forward for gratitude.  For presence.  For appreciation.  For intentionality.  That is what this photo makes me think of:  of my cozy, beautiful home, of my beloved family who helped me decorate the tree and of course for my sweet baby girl with whom we get to celebrate her first Christmas this year.

We have already been given so much and the best way I know to hold onto what I have been given is to say 'thank you' to the Giver. ....thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou.....

2 comments:

  1. First, what a lovely ornament! Gorgeous! But thank you for writing this. I needed something to yank me out of the "if only we had..." state of mind. So often it is easy to get caught up in what 'I need' that would make our lives 'better,' when in fact we have SO MUCH that I need to be thankful for. I have spent far too long overlooking those things and have spent way too much time dwelling on the 'needs/wants' category. Thank you for blessing me with this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post...and a great reminder to be thankful-grateful! every month, every day of the year. And great picture, too :)

    ReplyDelete