Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Happy Birthday Luke

       
Dearest Luke,

   It is so hard to believe that you would be two years old today.  Even though the days without you seem to creep by, I cannot believe that two years have passed since we held you in our arms and whispered so much love into your tiny ears and heart.  I have been thinking about your birthday for a long time and yet, still today I have been caught by surprise by the rawness of my sadness and grief in missing you.  It feels just as real as if you were here yesterday.  

taking some flowers to her big brother...
You are missed every single day, sweet boy.  I wonder what you would be busy doing and learning if you were here with us today.  Your baby sister is growing big and strong and we continue to tell her about her big brother as the days go by.  This fall we took her to your special spot and were all together as a family for the first time.   We visited you again at Christmastime and want you to know that no matter how many days go by and how far the distance between here and heaven, there will always be a Luke-shaped hole in our lives until we are reunited again.  


My missing you continues to take on new surprising forms...as Lily grows, I am slowly realizing all of the simple joys and firsts I missed getting to have with you.  I know you are in heaven, but I just wish I could hold you for a few more minutes and just whisper again how happy I am that you were here, how much I will always love you and how thankful I will always be that you are my son.  I love you and I miss you.  Always.

All my heart,
Mom

6 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about Luke and his family all day long. Sarah and Joe you honor Luke's life so well. I am forever grateful for the lessons of true unconditional love that I have learned through your family's story. Little Lily is incredibly blessed to have Luke as her big brother. Happy birthday to you, Luke!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been on my heart all day, Sarah. Thinking of you, Joe, and Lily on sweet Luke's birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I fell upon your blog by accident in search of another blog and your post brought me to tears! I am SO sorry for your loss! I'm a mother of 11 month old twins and I had no idea how much a child changes your life until I had my own and I can NOT even imagine how much your heart must hurt. Your daughter is just beautiful!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. That picture at the top of this post? LOVE.

    ReplyDelete