Sunday, September 11, 2011

I wish...and remember



I wish today wasn't the ten year anniversary of 9/11.
I wish all of those vibrant lives were not lost that morning and in the war since that day.
I wish all of those thousands of families were not missing loved ones.
I wish that terrorism was a hypothetical, not a reality.
I wish we were not at war.
I wish our country showed kindness and patriotic unity outside of a national tradgedy.
I wish those two towers were still standing over Manhattan.
I wish our country and its citizens were not targets both overseas and domestically.
I wish 9/11 had never happened....
but it did, and so I will remember with a conscious heart all that has been lost so that I continue to be given my freedom, my safety, my rights and my liberty.

I remember the day.
I remember earlier that morning, I had actually turned off the news as at that time (an hour or so before anything happened), it was a "slow news day."
I remember I was sitting at my desk in my cubicle when I first learned what had happened.
I remember I was RSVP-ing for my friend's rehearsal dinner that was going to be held that weekend.
I remember my friend's fiance telling me the news.
I remember this all took place before the internet was what it is today and feeling alone because I did not have access to a television to find out what was happening.
I remember that day at lunch seeing the smoke loops in the sky from where all the jets were turning around mid-flight to return to an airport.
I remember feeling scared to live in America for the first time in my life.
I remember feeling vulnerable and alone.
I remember watching the news coverage that night at my parent's house because I did not have cable.
I remember crying as I watched the footage.
I remember the spirit of unity and patriotism that captured our nation in the days and weeks following.
I remember paying attention to current events like I never had before.
I remember praying and thanking God that he was bigger than what was going on in the world.

I am remembering today along with our nation and the world those horrible events that took place on that beautiful fall morning.  I am so proud of all of the family members of those lost who are and continue to be so brave in the face of darkness.  As I listened to the names read this morning, I wondered about each of them, their lives, their homes, their jokes, their jobs, their families, their homes, their talents ... and while I did not know any of them personally, I shared in the ache of their loss.

Despite all that has happened in the past ten years and no matter which side of the line you stand on politically, America is still beautiful.  In spite of some people's best efforts, America is still the land of the free.  And without question, it is still the home of the brave.  I am so thankful, and I will always remember.

2 comments:

  1. I love you friend. Thank you for sharing your thoughts...and your wishes and memories. I am proud to be your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Powerful! Loved this post Sarah!

    ReplyDelete