Thursday, September 1, 2011

An Unexpected Break


It is finally September.  I've been absent from the blog, initially not on purpose, but thanks to mother nature, some personal challenges and timing, it all added up to practically a month away.  It is difficult to explain, but in a way I needed a break.  I will try to explain...

As stated earlier, our house went on the market after two crazy weeks of getting things all packed away, scrubbed and straightened.  We were very excited to have the ball rolling and then our area (especially a three block radius around our house) was hit by a crazy microburst which ripped down half of our GIANT tree in the backyard, which ripped all of our power lines from our house, which ripped out our electrical tower from our roof, which pulled all of our gutters down in the back of the house....all in the span of about 20 seconds.  It was very scary as we went from gentle thunder to a wild storm in seconds and when the wires were pulled out of our house, everything was sparking outside mere inches from our house! I have never been so scared in all my life as I stood there holding Lily waiting for our house to catch on fire.  Thankfully, Joe is ultra together in those kinds of situations and was calling 911 within seconds.

Needless to say, all ended up being okay with the potential fire situation, but the damage was done to our house, no doubt about it.  We were without power for 5 days and STILL do not have our wires officially hooked back up yet, we are waiting on inspections by the city for all of the electrical work we had done.  Our phone line is still down on the ground and our gutters are still dangling from our roof, but hopefully that is all on track to change this week.  It has been a lot of lesson learning for me on patience, persistence, waiting, home insurance claims, professional contractors, repair bids and the overall home repair industry.  Lots of learning.  But we are finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel.  So while our house was taken off the market less than a week after we put it on...we are hopeful that it will be back on by the end of this week...and this time for the duration! So that has been our last almost three weeks. whew! We are so thankful for my parents who let us move into their house for a few days!

So during all of this time, I have not written, have not taken a photo (well, maybe only a handful) and have honestly been kind of down in the dumps.  August is always a rough month for me personally house drama aside.  For me, August is PACKED with mile stones and memories...some lovely, some painful.  This August marked 5 years since I summitted my first 14er (more on that someday).  Five years since Joe and I had our first DTR conversation and decided we could not even be friends.  Four years since Joe and I reconciled our damaged friendship and God began turning things around for us.  Two years since Joe and I (with Luke in my belly) were baptized on a beautiful August morning.  Two years since we received the devastating diagnosis that Luke would not be coming home with us after being born.  Two years since we began blogging here at Lassoing the Moon.  Two years since I started writing and following that love.  Two years since I discovered the world of blogs and my love of blogging.  And one amazing year since we found out that Lily was growing in my belly.  So many highs and so many lows.  I mark and remember all of them as these anniversaries pass.  They are all major parts of my story and for some reason, they all take place in August, my least favorite month of the year.  Ironic, huh?

So...now that its September, fall is in the air and August is behind me, I'm feeling a little bit more pep in my step.  Some inspiration in my spirit and some spiritual and physical energy again.  I feel like I have just been hiding out a little bit.  So here is to being brave, being true to myself and being honest about it all.  I just kind of let all of the balls fall to the ground over the past few weeks and have been just focusing on Lily and taking each day at a time. This break wasn't planned but it was very much needed.  Thanks for sticking with me and for checking back in here at Lassoing.  I'm so happy you're here and I'm so happy to be back.

I always feel like the start of the school each year is like a New Year.  I have not been in school for over a decade, but I still feel that way and I get excited about the idea of starting new around this time of year, new pencils, new ideas, new things to learn, new ways to grow, new friends to make, new challenges to face, new ways to be inspired....So here's to a great month of September everyone...a fresh start and a great new year.  It's good to be back.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are breathing easier in this cooler air of September. I certainly missed you in August and am so happy to have you back! I hope the house repairs finish smoothly and things get back on track ASAP. Happy Fall to you, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that sounds so scary (the microburst)! Glad you are all safe and sound. And from one stranger to another, I'm glad you're back at blogging :)

    ReplyDelete