Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Love Shower

by Sarah

A few weeks ago several of my friends gathered together for a holiday cookie exchange and to encircle Luke and I in prayer.  It was not a baby shower in the traditional sense, but it was a gathering for the purpose of honoring and praying for Luke and I- and it was like nothing I have ever experienced before.  It was a powerful afternoon spent among the company of incredible women who have not only walked beside me during this difficult season, but who have also stood guard around Joe, Luke and I through prayer, encouragement and steadfast support.  They have truly gone to battle on our behalf whether it be helping to keep our spirits up, loving on Luke, praying over us publicly and privately, helping to carry the burden of sharing our heartbreaking news with others in hopes that we would have to repeat ourselves one less time...  Yes, these women have stepped into the gap and have helped to hold us up and continue forward when we have only wanted to lay down.

Sitting in that lovely room on that gloomy afternoon, I was completely humbled by the army of warrior women God has placed around me during this season.  Some have been friends for decades, while others have only entered my life recently- yet all have made an incredible impact on my life.  I am humbled by their ability to step into the fire with me and hold my hand.  They have wiped my tears and listened to my cries.  They have rubbed my belly and talked directly to Luke.  They have not been afraid and have not turned away as human beings are so prone to do when life gets difficult or hard.  They have stepped forward and offered their strength, their arms, their ears, their shoulders, their time, their talents, their energy, their creativity, their homes and their prayers.  And the ultimate humbling fact was that there are so many more women out there who have done these things for me who were not present that afternoon.  God continues to open my eyes to these amazing people in my life and to truly see and appreciate the richness of the blessing that they are to me.  He continues to open my eyes to this wonderful blessing so I am sure not to miss it or forget it as can happen in the midst of crisis.  He continues to show me time and time and time again that I am most certainly and absolutely NOT alone.

Our time of prayer that afternoon was powerful.  God was glorified for the amazing work he continues to do in Luke and how he is using his short, sweet life to touch so many others.  I felt strengthened and loved and encouraged and surrounded and so, so grateful for the rich blessings that continue to flood into my life during this darkest of seasons.

Towards the end of the get together - these wonderful women bombarded me with one final, giant Love Bomb (no other way to adequately describe it!)  They had each brought something for me to open during the month of January after Luke's arrival- a huge basket of TLC! I was completly not expecting this and of course burst into tears when I realized what it held and how much love was wrapped up in there for me.  Some items were wrapped, others were not (I can see comfy PJs, some funny books and DVDs, some recipes....) ...I have not opened a single one yet as I decided to wait and open one each day...starting when I get home from the hospital and after Luke's service...something to look forward to every day when I'm at home resting and recovering.

With Luke's diagnosis, it obviously was not appropriate to have a traditional baby shower per se, but this Love Shower was exactly perfect.  I have never been to one like it before and personally think that every woman should experience something like it in her lifetime (although minus the tragic circumstances of course!)  I was reminded in so many ways of how loved we are and cherished how Luke's life and impact were honored.  We were lifted up in prayer and wrapped up in love.  Sometimes, even amidst the seemingly never ending storms in my life lately, I just cannot help but think that I'm a very lucky girl and my heart cannot help but whisper "Thank you, God."




No comments:

Post a Comment