Monday, July 26, 2010

The Journey


For the past couple of years, our church has had an online weekly devotional called The Journey, which is staffed by volunteer writers. It was a big step for me to "try out" for this team of writers, as it meant saying in a public way, "I like to write" and "I hope you read it."  It was a humbling message to admit and put out into the world and may not sound like that big of a deal, but for me, it was.  It meant making myself vulnerable enough to put my thoughts and writing out there for people to read, think about, form opinions about and possibly comment on- and more importantly, to basically let my efforts go and stand on their own.  It was about developing confidence in an area where my legs felt very shakey. 

The last time I wrote anything for The Journey was last August right when we found out about Luke's diagnosis.  I took a hiatus from writing there and turned my focus to begin writing on our blog and telling Luke's story....until now.  I have recently signed up to write several devotionals for our church over the next six months (about ten pieces in all) and am feeling a peace about writing there again. 

There are many teaching topics at church coming up on the horizon that I felt spoke directly to my heart either in what I've directly or am hoping to experience and learn about.  Feeling this connection with the upcoming teaching made me excited about volunteering to write for The Journey again.  I plan to post the pieces here as they are written and shared with our church community as well as links to where you can find the weekly devotional material that pairs with that week's teaching for anyone who may be interested- of course, there is zero obligation!

We are approaching the one year "birthday" of this little blog and it feels hard to believe that it was not until we found out about Luke that I truly began writing on a regular basis in a way that allowed my "voice" to be heard. This blog has been such an amazing outlet for me, mentally, personally, emotionally, spiritually and has also brought some incredible people into our lives as a bonus. As we move through and beyond this difficult season in our lives, I intend to keep on writing here and I will forever be grateful to our sweet, little Luke for helping me both discover and uncover this part of myself that brings so much life and joy to my heart.

I am also extremely grateful for all of you who have read and continue reading and passing our little blog along to friends- I'm grateful for your encouragement, your support, your words and your friendship. I cannot explain to you the transformation that has taken place for me in this area just in the past year alone since starting to write here. I thank you for helping me grow and for giving my words and our story wings.

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your writing, you are very talented with your style, and honesty. I have often found myself repeating some of your words in my daily life, at church, and re-telling to others. Thank you for sharing your gift.

    ReplyDelete