Friday, October 14, 2011

31 Days of Savoring the Sweet Stuff: Day 14- LAUGHTER!


I went through almost 15 months of my life without a belly laugh.  It sounds wierd to know this about myself, but I will never forget my first laugh that broke my drought.  It was during Thanksgiving weekend 2010, almost 15 months to the day after finding out about Luke's diagnosis.  Sure, over the months, I had occasionally laughed since finding out the tragic news that changed my life forever, but not in a way I could not stop.  I certainly was not laughing as much as I had before.  I just figured I really would not truly laugh that big way again.  It wasn't until I was several minutes in, with tears rolling down my cheeks and my shoulders shaking, that I realized what was happening and that this laughter was healing a long wounded spot in my spirit.  I will always be thankful for my brother and that Irish music he played for bringing that kind of real, genuine laughter back into my heart again after such a long absence.

I can't say that I laugh that way all the time now, but I do love to laugh and am laughing so much more these days.  At the end of our days, Joe and I love to watch Modern Family for a good laugh.  It is a show that never fails to make me laugh out loud...even after seeing the episode a few times!  

Laughter is good medicine and one of my favorite things in life. I'm so thankful to have my true laugh back.

No comments:

Post a Comment