Sunday, February 10, 2013

28 Days of Loving Lily: Day 10 - Your Innocence




Sweetest Lily-

You dressed up as a lion for Halloween this year and besides the fact that you were very cute, you LOVED your Halloween candy....but not for eating!  For carrying around and moving around to all of your favorite hiding spots around the house.  You would put it in your little pumpkin and carry it around, dump it out, pick it up, move it again and on and on.  You had no idea of the sweetness you were holding in your hands, to you it was all just a new stash of crinkly toys to fiddle with. You played with all of these pieces of candy for weeks...it was almost Thanksgiving by the time I was able to phase  the candy and pumpkin out of your daily life.  It will be fun to see how you react to it all next year.   I loved your innocence of not yet understanding what candy is and I hope this special sweetness of yours lasts for at least a few more years!  

When we bought our house, there were two young girls who lived her before us and they loved American Girl Dolls.  For a couple of months after we moved in, the girls' American Girl Doll catalogs would arrive in our mail box and you were instantly drawn to them.  I do not think it is an exaggeration to say we have spent HOURS reading these together.  You do not yet realize that these are catalogs and that with a few clicks of the mouse or a trip to the store, these dolls could actually come and live at your house!  You are perfectly content to just "oooh and ahhh" over the glossy photos of the beautiful dolls in all of their crazy finery.  You enjoy looking at their glasses, their shoes, their pets, their cups of hot chocolate and their ice skates.  I love these sweet times and how much you have so innocently enjoyed reading these catalogs without expectation of receiving or even knowing to ask.  I pray you stay this way for a very long time!   

For Christmas we gave you some Sesame Street "action" figures and you have LOVED them.  I had a hunch that you would like them since you really liked your friend, Lila's when we played at her house one morning.  You carry them around, you know their names, you love when we hide them around the house for you to find and you especially love books and music where they are featured.  Until about a week ago, you had no idea that they were on TV or let alone that they had their very own show!  But about a week ago, you had asked me to turn on some music on our tv and when I flipped on the tv to get it all adjusted for music, the channel was on PBS and Sesame Street happened to be on and you were ecstatic!  You were beside yourself seeing all of your "friends" dancing and singing and talking on tv all together.  You ran into the playroom and got them, brought them and set them beside you on the couch.  You have never before had much interest in what has been on TV but this was the exception!  You were glued to the TV for about fifteen straight minutes.  It was so cute!  You just had no idea.  I had the thought of "Oh, this is how it all begins" with television watching for kids, but seeing your joy I did not feel bad for letting you watch.  Since then, we have added some Sesame Street  episodes, both current and classic to our Netflix queue and I have to admit, it has been fun to turn them on and watch with you while I'm folding laundry and I have been blown away by how much I remember from my own Sesame Street watching days!  It's such a fun show and I love how much you are loving it too.  But I will always remember your sheer joy at seeing your "friends" on TV for the first time.  So, so sweet.


1 comment:

  1. That IS how it begins! :) But, hey, it's educational, right? I'm loving these "Lovin' Lily" posts!

    ReplyDelete